On Sunday I read an Animal Rescue newsletter that I receive by email every week. A woman I admire greatly puts out the newsletter and who does great work through both communicating and connecting where needed to help animals. I often have to accept the fact that I can’t save every dog in need but I wasn’t able to this week...



I read of a two year old Shepherd/Collie cross who had been surrendered to the OSPCA by her owner because he couldn’t afford to take care of her any longer. She had suffered from seizures and the vet care for testing and potential treatment was beyond his means. Sad enough that man and dog had to be separated but sadder still that she ended up in a shelter. When I read that this girl could not have blood work done to rule out epilepsy or find the cause of her seizures because the shelter had other medically challenged dogs I was upset. The thought of her living in a cage, stressed by the noise and confusion of a shelter environment made me act – more from frustration and emotion than anything else. It certainly wasn't practicality or good sense that was behind my decision to contact the shelter and ask that the dog be transferred over to our rescue organization. Fortunately the shelter agreed. If all goes as planned (which I never count on when working with others) and we do get this lovely lady I will name her Sutton so please watch for her. The fact that we have nine adult dogs and thirteen pups living in our house right now should have ruled out any more coming to us but there are times when you have to do something whether it is with or without reason. There is an excellent chance I have now become the “crazed dog lady”.

As often happens in rescue work, at the worst possible time, the urgent emergency call we all dread comes in. There are no set hours to what we do so at 10 o’clock last night we were told of a male dog that had been hit by a vehicle in Attawapiskat. He was badly injured and needed to be flown out as soon as possible. A teacher had seen the dog get hit and she took the poor boy to our rescue worker’s house. We can’t determine anything over the phone of course so our only option, most often, is to get the dog to us where it can be vetted and cared for. Each dog is given the best chance possible and our decisions for care are never based on money. I named this boy Ramsey and he was flown out this afternoon. He will be at our vets tomorrow.

Ramsey Update | April 18, 2015

This little boy is just five months old and a small dog – most likely a Sheltie/Spaniel cross. He truly didn’t know what to make of flying in a plane then enduring a long drive south to us. He growled when the crate door opened but the confused look in his eyes suggested it was simply bluff and bluster. X-rays showed he had suffered a broken pelvis at best and perhaps worse. He was referred to an orthopedic surgeon who will operate Monday morning. Ramsey came home with us and seemed to understand that, even though he was in pain, the best part of his life had just begun. He is already showing his gratitude with a slight wag of the tail and by giving all he has to give in the way of cooperation and acceptance. This little boy is a champ and I ask as many of you as possible to support him through your thoughts and donations. His vet care will be at least $5,000 and he is worth that and much more.

Somehow both dogs found a way to ask for help and we feel fortunate to be able to respond. Once we know what each dog needs we will be making pleas for donations and sponsorship of vet fees. Our vets take very good care of us in what they charge and do for the dogs and we are grateful but still in need of financial assistance.  For now, however, we are simply anxious to meet both dogs and share whatever journey they travel with them.

We are in need of foster homes if anyone would like to consider working with us and our remarkable northern dogs. Our thanks.

- Sharron